Brothers William Fountain, Bob Gross, Daniel Fountain, Gillie Roach, James L. Gross,
S. J. Ewing, H. J. Whittle, Sister Bernice Whittle, and Bro. Floyd Perry have served.
Currently serving in this capacity is Bro. Elroy Ewing.
In 1979, under the leadership of H. J. Matthews, the guidance of Rev. Earnest D.
Ridgeway, the help of the Alabama West Florida Annual Conference, and the family
and friends of the Sparta Community, the present building was built.
On March 30, 1980, the cornerstone was laid, and Rev. Clifford Abbott served as Presiding
Superintendent. Assisting Rev. Abbott were Rev. E. D. Ridgeway, and Rev. H. J. Matthews.
In the Spring of 1980, Bishop Robinson visited the church, and made the following
comment, "beautiful church, beautiful people, but would look better with a steeple."
Our current Bishop is Bishop David Graves.
As the years have gone by, many have stood in the leadership capacity as Pastor.
Currently serving as Pastor of Sparta Hill is Rev. Cathie Myers, Pastor.
Currently serving as the Superintendent of the Baypines District is Rev. June Jernigan.
There are several organizations within the walls of our church. Such organizations
include: United Methodist Men, United Methodist Women, Adult Choir, and Youth Activities.
In 1996, a pastor's study was added to meet the needs of our Minister. In 1998,
phones were installed, and in 1999, part of the parking lot was paved. In 2002,
the wood work was replaced with vinyl siding, and in 2005, a new roof was added.
In 2009, the carpet was replaced and parking stops were added to the parking lot.
And in October 2010, a church web site (www.spartahillumc.com) was designed to assist
in our outreach.
Sparta Hill United Methodist Church was organized in 1875. It is one of the oldest
churches in Conecuh County. The first church was located on Conecuh County Road
# 25. The county road was then named Old Sparta Road, after the Sparta Hill Church.
In 1918, three acres of land were purchased by trustees: Brothers Joe Roach, W.
M. Whittle, and John Berry.
While the second church was being built, a tent was erected by the trustees for Sunday
School and Worship Service.
Brother John Berry was the first Sunday School Superintendent. Since that time,